- Cuisine: Indian, Pakistani
- Course: Entree, Side Dish
- Skill Level: Beginner, Easy, Moderate
- Add to favorites
- Servings : 4-6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 45m
- Ready In : 55m
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1-2" ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/2-1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2-3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and pepper
Heat water in pot until boiling.
Add lentils and boil for one minute.
Reduce heat to a simmer.
Simmer lentils until they resemble a thick paste (and the water has reduced almost completely).
While lentils are simmering, heat oil in frying pan.
Add onion, garlic and ginger. Fry until soft. Add curry, chili, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper, sauté for 2-3 minutes.
Add tomatoes and sauté for another 3-5 minutes. Add fried spice mixture into lentil paste, stir and cook an additional 15-20 minutes.
Serve as is (with naan or without), or over basmati rice.