New York Style Pizza Sauce2016-01-25
- Yield : Enough sauce for one large pizza or two small,
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 1m
- Ready In : 2m
- 1 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, or diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 talespoon unsalted butter
- 2 medium cloves garlic, grated or chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- 2 sprigs of basil with leaves attached
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut in half
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or more if you like sweeter sauce)
Process tomatoes in a food processor or blender, pulsing so that foam does not form, until pureed. Puree should not be completely smooth. Set aside.
Combine butter and oil in a medium saucepan and heat over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Add garlic, oregano, pepper flakes, and large pinch of salt and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, onion halves, and sugar.
Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to lowest setting (it should barely bubble on the surface), and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by about half, about an hour.
DIscard onions and basil. Season to taste with salt.
Allow to cool and store in covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.