Naqeeb’s Spinach Pakoras2015-10-09
- Cuisine: Pakistani
- Course: Appetizer, Side Dish, Snack
- Skill Level: Beginner, Easy, Moderate
- Add to favorites
- Yield : About 24
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 20m
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled then shredded (use a cheese grater)
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced (thin slices, so they look like the shredded potatoes)
- 1.5 TBSP whole coriander seeds, smashed with a mortar and pestle until fine
- 1 handful of fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 3/4 c gram flour
- Canola oil for frying
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
Using your hands, mix the ingredients well until the mixture forms a paste (the juice from the onion and potato will "moisten" the flour).
Keep squishing the mixture through your fingers until it's the consistency of thick pancake batter and everything's fully incorporated.
Let stand while heating the oil in a large skillet, about 1" deep. (I have my electric stove set to 6.5, and flick a few drops of water in the pan so when it pops, I know the oil is ready).
Using your hand, gently place small handfuls of the mixture into the oil, one at a time, so that they form little balls/parties, separated by a couple of inches.
Fry until lightly browned, then flip to brown the other side. Until the oil is fully hot, may need to flip each side to fully brown a couple of times.
Remove from oil once brown on both sides and place on a plate with paper towels to cool.
Repeat until all mixture has been used.
Serve with Mint Chutney.