Naqeeb’s Pakistani Black Beans2015-11-29
- Cuisine: Indian, Pakistani
- Course: Appetizer, Entree, Side Dish, Snack
- Skill Level: Intermediate, Moderate
- Add to favorites
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 40m
Rinse beans. Put in pressure cooker, and cover with water (about 1 1/2 inches). Close pressure cooker and cook on medium until pressure cooker signals it's done.
Meanwhile, combine ginger, garlic, and chili in a mortar and smash until a paste.
In a large skillet, pour vegetable oil (it should cover the bottom of the skillet), add paste and tomatoes, salt and turmeric and cook on medium heat, covered, until beans are done (about 10-15 minutes)
Release pressure in pressure cooker, and pour entire contents into skillet with the tomato mixture. Stir together. If juices do not fully cover mixture, add just enough water to cover the beans. Cook on low for 15-20 minutes, or until mixture thickens.
Add garam marsala, stir, and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, covered.
Serve with naans and yogurt (I add yogurt to mine which tastes amazing and also cools the heat of the spices if it's too hot). Enjoy!
- 2 cups dried beans
- 5 inches fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 green chili (small, coarsely chopped)
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2-3 teaspoons garam marsala
- 1/4-1/2 cup vegetable oil